Reset your mindset today, focus the mind, body, and your actions..
WOD – “Super Nova”
Deadlifts (275/185) (315/205)
100 KBS for time (70/53)
I wish you all the greatest of days, everyday. Where you focus is where you lead, so recognize and appreciate that today is the greatest day of your life. Think of 3 things that you are grateful for this morning … and then tonight reflect on what was AMAZING about your day (yes, a little 5 minute journal cue here) – you’ll be surprised at how your day improves when you are seeking the good and reflecting on it.
Today’s training deadlifts. Focus on hinging your body vs. heavy squat. Squeeze your stomach / core / belly button to spine and keep that black locked in position throughout the lift. Focus on these positions.
The WOD has pistols – if you have them, go get them – complete total reps. We are looking for the following in your pistol movement:
- Place feet hip width apart or glued together
- Feet are pointing almost straight forward, to just slightly out
- Abs and butt are on
- Lift one leg up in front of you (bent knee / straight leg / or you can hold on it
- Descend by pushing hips back and down (hips first than squat)
- Fight to keep the grounded knee out during descend
- Descend until hip crease falls below knee level
- Ascend by pushing hips back and then up
- Fight to keep the grounded knee out during ascend
- Don’t allow the lifted heel to touch the ground throughout the entire movement
Pistols require one leg off the ground facing forward and you to complete a squat movement (one legged squat). Today we will scale pistols without weight. You can select any of these based on your capabilities – please choose one you can move at intensity.
- Pistol to a box (lowest box or plate possible)
- Pistol to a band (elect the lightest band)
- Hold a weight in your hand w/ no other assistance (start with locked out legs and locked arms – this will activate your muscles along your back, hamstrings, and butt… then proceed with pistol. Note this isn’t counterbalancing but forcing the body to use / activate the right muscles .. cool right?)
- Candlestick roll to a pistol to a full standing position
At 3, 2, 1 GO … Athlete will complete 12 Heavy deadlifts and then 24 pistols. Then the athlete will return to the deadlift and complete 9 heavy deadlifts and 18 pistols. finally athlete will return to the deadlifts and finish the last set.
Upon completion, the athlete will then complete 100 RUSSIAN KB swings
The workout is complete when all reps of the deadlift, pistol, and KB swing are completed.
More heavy bars and gymnastics – focus on good tight reps for each movement. Respect the weight, adjust to your ability today, and let’s grind this one out together.
Focus on the good – squeeze one extra rep out every set, and let’s have the greatest day ever.
Thanks to Carl Paoli for the standards on the pistols that match closely to the gymnastics requirements. Train to be the best, not to easiest definition.
High School Athletic Program has officially launched! Excited to be the headquarters for one of the leading athletic program in the State. Plus how fun will it be for us to train alongside these athletes!
Lights – they are coming this week, prepare for the brightness!
Highlight videos and training videos – we have been sharing them, if you have any fun ones you capture – please tag @CrossFitNBK and or send to Jimmy. We’ll crosspost it with you.