Vertical Pulling – Ropes and Peg Boards
WOD – “High rise”
5 rounds for time
3 rope climbs
12 thrusters 135/95
Vertical pulling is developed and improved through strength and technique that allows us to move either in a pull-up, rope climb, peg board, etc … We’ll spend time today working on our personal goats in this area. If you are doing well on ropes – alternate between peg and rope position work. To begin your journey on the peg board try the following (and more!):
- Scale – the peg board requires bent arm strength, so this is new .. be patient
- Level 1 – place pegs in just above head and then hold a static position with full bent arms, hold for sub-maximal time and release
- Add an eccentric lowering to full arm extension (simply bend your legs so you can get full range of motion
- Level 2 – Lift yourself to a 90 degree arm angle and move pegs up 1 row, pause, and then bring it down to the starting pegs
- Add one row higher each successful attempt – walking yourself up and down every row
- Level 3+ travel up peg board ONLY as far up as you can return down (seems obvious but stay in your skill level as you build up strength and comfort)
Use the big crash mat whenever using the peg board, it is there for a reason 😉
OK … the WOD, we are going to crank up the heart rate with a fast row (400m), which is good for a hard row. Then the rope climbs will demand we have efficient and good body weight movements with proper tension + a higher heart rate. The rope climb will be fast as is manageable, but is also your only time to bring down the heart rate. Please do not hold your breath, move quickly while accomplishing each rope climb.
Heavy thrusters – this bar should be tough but you should be able to make the lift unbroken at this weight fresh. This is a challenging bar, so go heavy but keep the intent of this workout without relaxing so much by starring at the bar. Suggest hitting round 1 and 2 as huge sets. Rounds 3-5, think about planned rest with planned rest. 5,4, 3 reps would be good … 4, 3, 3, 2 … Be mindful, every rest requires an extra clean off the ground.
High School Athletic Program has officially launched! Excited to be the headquarters for one of the leading athletic program in the State. Plus how fun will it be for us to train alongside these athletes!
Highlight videos and training videos – we have been sharing them, if you have any fun ones you capture – please tag @CrossFitNBK and or send to Jimmy. We’ll crosspost it with you.