Power Clean and 3 Push Press
30 C&J (135/95)
We will work through a complex of a power clean and then 3 push presses. That is one set. We will build up and work solid positions. Spend more time than normal on dialing in the positions at the light to moderate weight and then stick with it.
The WOD is a classic benchmark. After our strength complex, pull down the weight and take a few practice jerks. Focus on crisp jerk positions and then fast cycle time. In the WOD, let’s stick to what is working – so if power jerks are working, stay there .. if split is your game, go ahead.
This workout is meant to be extremely fast. Adjust the weight to an appropriate load. What is extremely fast? RX for guys between 1-1:20 for the entire piece. Fast would be up to about 2 minutes. If we need to do singles the whole time with a bouncing bar we will lose the stimulus and end somewhere in the 6+ minutes. To make the best training – focus on the strength complex for getting heavy load, and then in the WOD bias towards heavy at speed.
Tips for a better training session and GRACE time:
- Of course …Form matters even at speed, keep good technique and you’ll win the day
- The end is the beginning – the finish of the Clean leads immediately into the Jerk. Let’s break this down and you’ll be more efficient:
- When finishing the power clean portion of the clean you are already in the “dipped” position of the jerk. Instead of standing the clean up then re-dipping and jerking the weight overhead try going directly into the jerk after catching the clean.
- When returning the bar to the floor – keep the bar close to your body (similar to the beginning of the lift … the closer we keep it the less weight we have to control). Lower the bar with your hook grip (or re-grip) – by resetting your grip after you have flipped your elbows above the bar on the way down (as fast as you can).
- Avoid crashing the bar on your hips to regrip – the hips and quads can be grazed as the bar descends or fully out of the way if possible (more advanced)
- Chalk up, double tie your shoes, and don’t ever leave your bar during the WOD.
- Avoid air dropping your bar – it is dangerous to you, your neighbors, and costs 10-12 seconds per drop … instead bring it down; place it, and then use those seconds to actually recover and refocus.
High School Athletic Program has officially launched! Excited to be the headquarters for one of the leading athletic program in the State. Plus how fun will it be for us to train alongside these athletes!
Highlight videos and training videos – we have been sharing them, if you have any fun ones you capture – please tag @CrossFitNBK and or send to Jimmy. We’ll crosspost it with you.